Matt White, ala ‘The Bandit’, famous for appearing and coming sixth on the fifth season of Australia’s Got Talent, has found himself facing court-ordered police appearances after causing ‘grievous bodily harm’ to a Wauchope person on October 25.
White claims that the assult was brought on after unexpected backlash from the public after his very prolific stint on the Channel Seven talent show last year.
“I quickly found that a lot of people are jealous about what I have achieved,” White stated.
”They think I have a lot of money and want a piece of me. The death threats, hate mail and negative sites on the internet have been pretty hard to take.”
He also told the Western Advocate that the show did not prepare him for the downside of popularity.
“Being on television was awesome and I lapped up all the love and attention and the chance to shine in glory,” he said.
“Producers were on hand to make sure everything was good but there was no warning about all the bad stuff that happens back in the real world.”
It’s not the first time a contestant has complained about the lack of preparation shows like this give to its contestants. In best cases, potential applicants are given a quick crash course on the negatives to popularity.
After the assult, White faced Dubbo court where he was given the order to report to Coonabarabran police every day.
“The reporting conditions are causing my career to stall,’’ he said.
“I’ve already had to breach a contract to perform at Perth and that could end up costing me $40,000.”
He will reappear in Port Macquarie Local Court on March 19.
Australia’s Got Talent returns to Seven later this year.