Press Release from Nine. AUSTRALIA’S FIRST GANGSTER SUPERSTAR LIVES AGAIN… FILMING COMMENCES ON UNDERBELLY: SQUIZZY Continue reading »
Person of Interest returns to Monday nights with new episodes, possibly in the lead up to fast track the new season from the US which starts in a few weeks time. The weekend sees the last Friday night and Saturday night NRL games for the year, with the Grand Final set air Sunday September 30. Continue reading »
Dallas is now out of the schedule. Other than that, no major changes. Continue reading »
Jonathan LaPaglia stars as Anthony Perish and Matt Nable as Detective Sergeant Gary Jubelin in the thrilling new series UNDERBELLY: BADNESS that will premiere Monday, August 13, at 8.30pm on Channel Nine.
A feared underworld figure, Perish, nicknamed “Badness”, ran one of the biggest criminal enterprises on the eastern seaboard for over a decade. He was charismatic and utterly ruthless and lived according to his own rules. But despite his five-star lifestyle and criminal reputation he slipped completely under the radar. He left no trace. He had no identity. He was invisible. A ghost. Continue reading »
Unprecedented BADNESS…The latest series of UNDERBELLY commences filming
The Nine Network and Screentime are proud to confirm that principal photography has commenced on UNDERBELLY: Badness, the fifth installment in the landmark crime series.
Shot on location in Sydney and set from 2001 – 2011, UNDERBELLY: Badness chronicles the spider web of criminality spun by Anthony Perish and the quest by a dedicated team of police to bring him and his associates to justice. Continue reading »
The taxi driver allegedly assaulted by troubled actor Matthew Newton almost climbed out the car’s window to escape the enraged star, a court heard today.
North Sydney Local Court this afternoon was told Newton and cabbie Mohsen Khayami, 66, clashed after the actor refused to say where he was going.
The 34-year-old Underbelly star allegedly grabbed the driver’s shirt and then punched him in the head after the pair got out on the roadway.
A witness allegedly saw Newton push the man in the chest before saying “are you going to attack me?”.
Newton was charged with assault following the incident in Crows Nest on December 4.
There was no sign of the actor in court today, with his solicitor Chris Murphy telling a magistrate that the actor was currently living in a “peaceful, Midwestern community” in the USA.
Mr Murphy said Newton was taking a “bomb load” of medication every day and had been struggling with the side effects of the drugs at the time of the alleged attack.
“The aim for this young man is to find himself a quiet community he can live in,” he said. “He just needs to have some normalcy.”
Newton was suffering from manic depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress, Mr Murphy told the court. “I’m saying that (the alleged assault) occurred at a time when his mental illness was it its worst,” he said.
But Magistrate Ellen Skinner said she hadn’t been given any evidence that Newton had actually been diagnosed with the conditions or that he was taking the drug cocktail as claimed.
She adjourned an application to have the charges dealt with under the Mental Health Act until tomorrow.
Mr Murphy earlier told reporters outside the court that a campaign had been waged in the media against his famous client.
Newton, the son of showbusiness couple Bert and Patti Newton, admitted to a 2006 assault on former girlfriend and actress Brooke Satchwell.
Newton’s conviction for the crime was later quashed after he successfully pleaded he was mentally ill at the time of the attack.
In 2012 Nine will premiere:
The Voice: The ratings smash hit in the US with more than 10 million viewers a week. Close your eyes and open your ears. The Voice will rock Australia and reveal its very best undiscovered artists; coached by four superstars – Good Charlotte rocker Joel Madden, international country music star Keith Urban, Grammy Award winning soul singer Seal and Aussie pop princess Delta Goodrem. It is set to be the musical and social media phenomenon of 2012.
Excess Baggage: Eight celebrities, eight ordinary Australians and one life changing decision. Their physical and emotional baggage is holding them back, and they’re ready to reclaim their lives. Travelling far across this country, and deep inside themselves they will discover the secrets to shedding life’s Excess Baggage. Hosted by Kate Ceberano with celebrities: Kevin Federline, Christine Anu, Kate DeAraugo, Gaby Millgate, Darryn Lyons, Brant Webb, Ajay Rochester and Robert “Dipper” DiPierdomenico.
Big Brother: The ‘mother’ of all reality shows returns to Australian television on Nine in 2012. The show that changed the face of Australian television will be reborn on Nine with a bold new attitude and a brand new host, Sonia Kruger. Big Brother: new house, new housemates, new twists, new host.
These exciting premiere series join returning favorites: a new series of the ratings smash-hit The Celebrity Apprentice Australia with a whole new cast of celebrities fighting it out for their chosen charities, another international adventure with the lovable, unpredictable, Hamish & Andy, and the family-favourite The Farmer Wants A Wife, hosted by Natalie Gruzlewski.
And of course, The Block 2012 It was everyone’s favourite blocktastic success story of 2011, reaching a staggering 3.7million viewers. In 2012, 7o’block is back and it’s going to be bigger and better; a new elimination round and new challenges. The biggest block ever is coming to Nine in 2012.
And in 2012, Nine, the home of Drama, will premiere:
Tricky Business: Nine’s exciting new Aussie family drama looks at the lengths people go to get themselves out of trouble and boasts an impressive cast including Shane Bourne, Gigi Edgley, Debra Byrne, Lincoln Lewis, Kip Gamblin, Antony Starr and Sophie Hensser. Tricky Business is currently in production and produced by Screentime.
Howzat! – the Kerry Packer Story: From the makers of Paper Giants, a major mini-series on the birth of World Series Cricket and how the face of Cricket changed on Australian televison due to the legendary Kerry Packer. Guaranteed to be the must-watch television event of 2012.
Beaconsfield: Shane Jacobson and Lachy Hulme head an outstanding cast in the three-hour telemovie which tells the story of the amazing rescue of Todd Russell and Brant Webb from the collapsed Beaconsfield mine in Tasmania five years ago. Produced for the Nine Network by Southern Star’s John Edwards
The Great Mint Swindle: An extraordinary tale about the most famous gold heist in Australia’s history – a major crime that remains unsolved to this day. This telemovie brings together a stellar cast – Grant Bowler, Todd Lasance, Josh Quong Tart, Shane Bourne and John Batchelor. The Great Mint Swindle is produced by Cordell Jigsaw Production and Zinc Finger Films.
Plus, in 2012, a new UNDERBELLY… Australia’s most popular drama franchise continues, following on from the launch of Underbelly: Razor which created history, becoming the highest rating drama debut with 2.794 million viewers (with Total People in the 5 City Metro, since OzTam began).
More from Nine, the Home of Drama: International hit series including The Mentalist , the CSI franchise, the breakout sleeper hit Person of Interest, Unforgettable, the UK dramas Sherlock and Sinbad, and soon to come from the US, JJ Abrams’ highly anticipated Alcatraz.
Nine, the Home of Entertainment: All new Top Gear, Hot Property, Getaway, Millionaire Hot Seat, The Great Barrier Reef and Earth Flight.
Nine, the Home of Laughter: Returning favourites Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, and Australia’s Funniest Home Videos, is joined by all new US hit comedy Two Broke Girls.
Nine, the Home of the most watched and respected News and Current Affairs: Nine News (Number 1 in Sydney), A Current Affair, 60 Minutes, and the Today Show (Number 1 on the East Coast).
Nine, the Home of Sport: The summer of international Cricket, NRL, State of Orgin, Four Nations Rugby and the Santos Tour Down Under.
And…the sporting crowning glory… The London 2012 Olympic Games.
The ultimate world sporting event; 17 days showcasing the best of the best, presented by Nine’s outstanding Wide World of Sports team.
(The number one Multichannel across PEOPLE 25-54, PEOPLE 18-49 and PEOPLE 16-39 for the 5 City Metro)
The Hard Times of RJ Berger
(The number one Multichannel Combination with GO! and GEM across key demographics – PEOPLE 25-54, PEOPLE
18-49 and PEOPLE 16-39 across the 5 City Metro.)
Home of Nature/Wildlife
Rizzoli & Isles
The Big C
Channel Nine – Highlights of 2011
• The highest rating program of the year with THE BLOCK – WINNER ANNOUNCED rating at 3.370 Million viewers for the 5 City Metro.
• The number one network for DRAMA with the launch of UNDERBELLY: RAZOR rating at 2.794 Million viewers for the 5 City Metro. UNDERBELLY: RAZOR’s launch was the highest rating launch of any drama in OzTAM history.
• The number one network for COMEDY with the relaunch of TWO AND A HALF MEN with Ashton Kutcher rating at 2.524 Million Viewers for the 5 City Metro.
• The number one network for DOCUMENTARY with David Attenborough’s FROZEN PLANET rating at 1.356 Million Viewers for the 5 City Metro.
• The number one network for REALITY with THE BLOCK – WINNER ANNOUNCED.
• The number one Network for PEOPLE 25-54 across the Nine Entertainment Company controlled East Coast.
The number one Multichannel Combination with GO! and GEM across key demographics – PEOPLE 25-54, PEOPLE 18-49 and PEOPLE 16-39 across the 5 City Metro.
• GO! the number one Multichannel across PEOPLE 25-54, PEOPLE 18-49 and PEOPLE 16-39 for the 5 City Metro.
Nine are hoping for their biggest night of the year as they air the two hour finale of The Block 2011 at 6.30pm Sunday August 21, followed by the two hour premiere of Underbelly Razor at 8.30pm.
The 2011 finale of The Block will feature the auction of the four houses which will determine which couple wins the series taking out the grand prize. The winning couple takes home $100,000 as well as the profit their house delivers. The other three couples leave only with their profit – which could well mean – that should any of the properties sell below their reserve, the couple responsible for that renovation leaves with nothing to show for their time on The Block.
Nine are hoping the finale pulls at least 2 million viewers and delivers a solid lead in for the Underbelly Razor premiere. The 2003 finale of the first season of The Block pulled 3.3 million viewers and still remains amongst the most watched shows of the last ten years.
Underbelly Razor is the fourth series (excluding the three telemovies that aired earlier this year) and again is based on real events. This time, the series is set in and around Kings Cross in Sydney in the 1920′s. Promos show some spectacular scenes depicting Sydney of the time, including a partial Sydney harbour bridge as construction was carried out during the late 1920′s.
The Block 2011 finale – 6.30pm Sunday August 21 on Nine.
Underbelly Razor – 8.30pm Sundays from August 21 on Nine.
CSI fans, pay attention! Nine adjusts Tuesday night programming.
This week, the Top Gear repeat at 9.30pm barely managed to rate better in four cities than Underbelly did in Melbourne only. The low ratings for Top Gear on Nine helped the network to an easy defeat that night, reminiscent of those bad old days in 2009 when Nine were regularly third in ratings on Tuesday nights behind Seven and Ten.
Instead, in all markets except for Victoria, will be the series return of CSI: NY, in NEW episodes. It returns with episode 6 of season 6 called “It happened to Me” at 9.30pm, Tuesday May 10. Following CSI: New York will be the Nine New Special discussing this year’s Federal Budget.
In Victoria, double Underbelly series one plays from 9.30pm, with the Budget News Special at 11.30pm.
Now who wants to place bets on how long CSI: New York will remain in that timeslot? Hopefully some promos over the next five days will alert fans to the New York franchise’s return to Nine. Although I wonder how many of them are no longer interested given its on again – off again programming of late?
CSI: New York, Nine 9.30pm, Tuesday May 10, except for Melbourne.
Despite Channel Nine promoting an uncut Underbelly screening in Victoria, recent court proceedings may yet lead to cuts being made.
Lawyers for a man involved in gangland activity have told the Victorian Supreme Court that the season finale of the first season had the potential to prejudice a jury.
The first two episodes of the series have already been screened in full in Victoria after the guilty plea by drug kingpin Tony Mokbel seemingly cleared the way for Channel Nine.
Justin Quill, who represents Channel Nine, said plans were underway for several names to be taken out of the show and further editing to take place.
Source: The Australian